We are pleased to announce the recipients of the Summer 2012 Lindy Center for Civic Engagement Community Partner grants. With the grant focus of Summer Youth Programming, each selected organization will receive $2,000 to support new projects or enhance existing programs that provide academic assistance, enrichment activities, or employment for children and/or youth this summer.
• ArtWell’s HeartSpeak for Teens, which provides violence prevention education and youth development through multi-disciplinary arts
• Youth Empowerment Services’ Health Detectives program, a project-based forensic science course to teach critical thinking and research skills to non-traditional students ages 17-21, as they work towards earning GEDs
• Spells Writing Lab Summer Writing Camp, an opportunity for children ages 7-12 to spend six weeks exploring writing and publishing
• University City District, West Philadelphia Skills Initiative Youth Employment Network, which provides summer internships for teens in this difficult economic setting
• Revelation Outreach Community Center, Keep the Music Alive Program, a summer camp that uses musical and artistic creativity as a tool to reinforce basic math, reading, and writing skills in youth ages 6-14.
It is our goal that these grants will enhance existing partnerships and help new partnerships to flourish! We look forward to sharing more stories from these programs throughout the summer.